Sunday, July 08, 2007

Reading the Bible

Take a look at these wonderful meditations on reading Scripture from Psalm 1 and 119!

“But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night” (Ps. 1:2).

“Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day” (Ps. 119:97).

“How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word” (Ps. 119:9).

“I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (Ps. 119:11).

“Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word” (Ps. 119:17).

“I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word” (Ps. 119:101)

“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Ps. 119:105).

“Let my cry come before you, O LORD; give me understanding according to your word” (Ps. 119:169)!


How great it is when the people of God are meditating and reading Scripture so that they receive the forgiveness of sins that comes through faith in Jesus Christ! How great it is when the people of God are meditating and reading Scripture so that their minds can be renewed and transformed! Their hearts and lives can be changed! Their lives can be directed! They can fill themselves up with the Holy Spirit! They can have spiritual discernment! They can smell a false teacher from afar! They can call on congregations to repent! They can affirm good things when they are pleasing to the Lord! They can share the gospel with great boldness! They can be in fervent prayer! They can orient their lives around serving the Lord! They can love their neighbors as themselves! They can maintain the unity of the spirit and the bond of peace!